About Me ColorJoy Home Page Free Stuff About Me Contact Me
ColorJoy Home Page
ColorJoy Home The ColorJoy Blog Buy Patterns, Recipe Books, CDs Patterns Schedule & Potential Classes Recipes & Food Information The LynnH SockTour LynnH Polymer Clay The Fabulous Heftones - Lynn & Brian

Archive for December 26th, 2005

Finished Objects

Monday, December 26th, 2005

sockFinally… I did a search on my computer and found the photos that were missing from the first week I had this new hard drive. I tell you, I allowed Windows XP to confuse me, until Brian encouraged me to search again. The photos were buried in a folder inside a folder inside a folder inside a folder. Right next to photos that were many years old. Really. No wonder I was confused!

So here I have proof that at least for a while, my socknitting vacation has ended. I admit, these all three are fat yarns, so they knit up pretty darned fast (and one pair was half knit from a class I taught, before I picked it back up this month).

sockFirst, pair 121. Plassard Merinos, from Threadbear. Variegated pale-to-medium aqua-blue. Toe up (same toe as my First-Time Toe-Up socks, with a Dutch heel turn), rolled stockinette cuff. Yum.

Next, pair 122. Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride Bulky, from Little Red Schoolhouse. Bright yellow-green (on my screen they appear too dark). Intended as winter slipper-socks to wear over other socks and keep me warm! First-Time Toe-Up sock pattern.

sockThird, pair 123. Bingo washable merino, from Threadbear. Medium grass green. First-Time Toe-Up sock toe with Dutch heel turn. Increased after gusset decreases, for a short slouch cuff, decreased again for a short bit K3P2 rib. I used two balls of the yarn for my thin size 6 feet, and had maybe a foot of yarn left when I was done. The perfect reason to use toe up construction!

Can you see I’m on a green binge? Springlike greens grab my eye lately.

legwarmers in progressAnd here’s a progress picture of my Manos del Uruguay/Ralph Lauren sweater makeover (click link to see skirt I made from it). In this photo, the left side is an arm (raglan sleeve) which has been detached from the sweater but not touched otherwise.

The right side is a finished legwarmer. I ripped out the shoulder area until I got to the bottom of the armhole where I could knit all stitches in the round. Then I did a K2P2 rib (it’s reversible if I want to turn down the cuff later) with part of the yarn I ripped out. Voila! And at the time of this writing, both legwarmers were finished knitting. I need to work in ends, but I even wore them by tucking in the loose ends one day. Nobody could tell, trust me.

I also finished my scribble lace stole. It’s an odd thing… it was looking like a wide scarf/stole on the needles. At 55 stitches I should have figured it would be pretty wide, but I did follow the instructions for a stole in the Debbie New book.

I’ll go into details on the structure of it later, but now what I thought was the skinny direction while knitting it, actually stretches wider than the length on the needles. It’s more of a square than a rectangle.

I’ll figure out how to wear/use it best, and I need to get finished photos of that one for you. I love the fabric but the shape is different enough than I expected that I need to rethink this item. Maybe this one will be the kitchen window curtain rather than the stole, we’ll see.