Oh, my! What fun it has been to listen to strong music by strong women this week. You guys really were fun, bringing me music from the 60s to today.
Diana/Otterwise sent me a link to 25 Women (most young) rocking it today. I only knew a few of the names. It’s amazing and inspiring. Maybe you want to check it out, also? 25 Women Who Rock Right Now – Spinner
I still want to collect a Pat Benatar song or several, but she’s not on iTunes. I relate, as a musician who has struggled with the current system of music licensing, that someone might make that choice. I’ll get her some way or another. Meanwhile, I put her on my list because she is who started this thought process.
I’m sort of amazed at how many ways a “strong woman sound” might record. Dolly Parton, Nancy Sinatra, Sister Sledge and Joan Jett on the same list? Cool. And for most of you, the Carpenters might not fit, but it was their album I first purchased, the first band I was in love with. They are pure vocals. It was hard to find an upbeat song in their catalog, but Top of the World is truly happy and so I chose that one.
It turned into more of a “beat-full, tush-shaking, house-cleaning songs sung by women” but I’m really enjoying it just the way it is. My iTunes says the playlist is between 1 and 2 hours long. That’s enough time to get some work done, and not get bored if I have it on repeat. Yeah!
I’ve had a great day or two. Thank you very much for playing this game with me.
Here’s my Playlist:
- ABBA – Take a Chance on Me
- Adele – Rolling in the Deep
- Alanis Morissette – Hand in my Pocket
- the Bangles – Manic Monday, Walk like an Egyptian
- Laura Branigan – Turn the Beat Around
- Edie Brickell & New Bohemians – What I am, Nothing
- The Carpenters – Top of the World
- Tracy Chapman – One Good Reason
- Sheryl Crow – All I Wanna Do (is Have Some Fun)
- Karla DeVito – Is this a Cool World or What?
- Heart – Magic Man
- Joan Jett & the Blackhearts – I Love Rock & Roll
- Katrina & the Waves – Walking on Sunshine
- Joni Mitchell – Big Yellow Taxi
- Dolly Parton – 9 to 5
- the Pointer Sisters – I’m so Excited
- Pretenders (Chrissie Hynde) – Brass in Pocket
- Helen Reddy – I am Woman
- Linda Ronstadt – You’re No Good
- Carly Simon – You’re So Vain
- Nancy Sinatra – These Boots are Made for Walkin’
- Sister Sledge – We are Family
- Donna Summer – She Works Hard for the Money
- Shania Twain – Man! I Feel like a Woman!
I think I’m ready for a work day! Thanks so much!